Fragile Truce Reached Between Syrian Government and Kurdish Forces

Lisa Chang, Asia Pacific Correspondent
3 Min Read
⏱️ 2 min read

In a move to temporarily ease tensions, the Syrian government and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have agreed to a four-day ceasefire, according to officials from both sides. The truce, which is set to begin on Thursday, comes after weeks of escalating clashes between the two parties in northeastern Syria.

The SDF, which controls large swaths of territory in the region, has accepted the ceasefire agreement. However, the group has reported continued attacks by government-allied forces, despite the truce being in place.

“We have agreed to a ceasefire for four days starting tomorrow, but the regime’s forces have not stopped their attacks,” said Mustafa Bali, a spokesman for the SDF. “We reserve the right to respond to any aggression or breach of the ceasefire.”

The Syrian government, led by President Bashar al-Assad, has not issued an official statement on the ceasefire agreement. However, state media has reported that government forces have been engaged in clashes with the SDF in recent days.

The fragile truce comes as the two sides have been locked in a tense standoff over control of northeastern Syria. The SDF, which is backed by the United States, has been a key partner in the fight against the Islamic State (IS) group in the region. However, the Syrian government has been pushing to reassert its authority over the area, leading to the recent escalation of violence.

Analysts say the ceasefire agreement is a temporary measure aimed at de-escalating the situation and preventing further bloodshed. However, they warn that the underlying tensions between the Syrian government and the SDF remain unresolved.

“This ceasefire is a Band-Aid on a much deeper problem,” said Sami Nader, a Middle East analyst based in Beirut. “The fundamental issue of control over northeastern Syria has not been addressed, and the potential for renewed clashes remains high.”

The four-day truce comes as the international community continues to grapple with the ongoing conflict in Syria, which has been raging since 2011. The country has been torn apart by a complex web of regional and global powers, each with their own interests and agendas.

As the situation in northeastern Syria remains fluid, the international community will be closely watching to see if the ceasefire holds and whether it can pave the way for a more lasting political settlement in the region.

Share This Article
Lisa Chang is an Asia Pacific correspondent based in London, covering the region's political and economic developments with particular focus on China, Japan, and Southeast Asia. Fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese, she previously spent five years reporting from Hong Kong for the South China Morning Post. She holds a Master's in Asian Studies from SOAS.
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© 2026 The Update Desk. All rights reserved.
Terms of Service Privacy Policy