Canada has responded with immediate economic retaliation following the United States’ implementation of sweeping 50% tariffs on billions of dollars worth of Canadian goods, escalating a trade dispute that threatens to reshape North American commerce. Prime Minister Mark Carney announced Friday night that Canada would suspend ongoing trade negotiations with Washington and match the new US duties “dollar for dollar,” while provincial leaders rallied behind the federal government’s hardline stance.
The tariffs, which took effect at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time Saturday, represent the latest chapter in a deteriorating relationship between the two nations. Originally scheduled to begin earlier in the week, President Donald Trump granted a three-day extension to allow final trade discussions to conclude. However, despite intensified negotiations, no comprehensive agreement was reached, prompting the US Trade Representative’s office to move forward with the punitive measures.
Last-Minute Breakdown Derails Trade Deal
Prime Minister Carney cited what he described as “unfair and uneconomic” last-minute changes to the US negotiating position as the primary reason for walking away from the talks. In a statement released late Friday, Carney argued that the shifting American demands raised serious questions about the reliability of any potential agreement.
“The United States cannot be trusted to honour its commitments,” Carney said. “We will not sign away our country’s interests for a handshake deal that can be torn up at any moment.”
Canadian negotiators departed Washington on Friday without securing a final deal, despite earlier optimism from both sides. Carney emphasized that recent progress had fallen short of Canada’s core objectives, which included maintaining broad access to the US market, reducing tariffs on key sectors, and protecting Canadian businesses from unfair competition.
Provincial Leaders Unite Behind Federal Response
Across Canada, provincial premiers expressed strong support for the federal government’s retaliatory approach. Ontario Premier Doug Ford endorsed Carney’s strategy, stating that the prime minister has his “full support for a strong response—tariff for tariff, dollar for dollar.”

“Team Canada needs to stand together more united than ever before,” Ford wrote on social media. “As we fight to protect Canadian sovereignty and economic security, everything needs to be on the table.”
British Columbia Premier David Eby echoed similar sentiments, warning that Canadian “politeness should never be mistaken for weakness.” He pledged that British Columbians “will always stand with Canada” and vowed to continue fighting for as long as necessary to resolve the dispute.
Business Community Warns of Cross-Border Impact
Canadian business leaders have raised urgent concerns about the economic fallout from the escalating trade war. Candace Laing, president and CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, described the tariffs as a “body blow to North American competitiveness.”
“The duties are not sustainable or viable for business,” Laing said. “Small Canadian exporters operating on tight margins will be forced to reassess orders, payrolls, and staffing levels.”
She warned that American consumers would face higher costs while Canadian businesses risk losing customers and investment as the trade dispute intensifies. The chamber has called for urgent government intervention to support affected industries and workers.
US Blames Canada for Failed Negotiations
US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer placed the blame squarely on Canada’s doorstep, accusing Ottawa of reneging on previously agreed terms. Greer claimed that the United States had offered Canada preferential treatment and additional tariff relief, but that new Canadian demands and reversals of earlier commitments ultimately derailed the agreement.

“The United States extended every courtesy to Canada in these negotiations,” Greer said. “Canada’s decision not to finalize this deal represents a missed opportunity to deepen cooperation with the United States.”
According to sources familiar with the negotiations, the proposed agreement would have seen the US lower—but not eliminate—sectoral tariffs on steel, aluminum, and automotive products, while withdrawing the new 50% tariff order entirely. The deal also included plans for enhanced partnerships in defence, critical minerals, and energy sectors.
Broader Implications for CUSMA
The breakdown in negotiations puts into question ongoing efforts to renegotiate the Canada-US-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA). Sources indicate that Canada was pursuing a three-step framework under the new trade deal that would lead to substantive talks on renewing CUSMA, following the US’s refusal to initiate such discussions during last month’s scheduled review.
The new tariffs are being imposed under Section 338 of the US Tariff Act, which permits a president to levy duties on any country deemed to “discriminate” against US commerce. The USTR estimates that nearly $20 billion worth of Canadian imports will be subject to the new duties, framing the move as a response to what it calls Canada’s “unreasonable and discriminatory” trade practices.
Greer also criticized Canada for maintaining retaliatory measures against the United States, including restrictions on certain American goods and services.
Why it Matters
This escalating trade conflict strikes at the heart of North America’s economic integration, threatening supply chains that have bound Canada and the US together for decades. With billions of dollars in trade now caught in the crossfire, businesses and workers on both sides of the border face unprecedented uncertainty. The dispute also jeopardises broader regional cooperation at a time when unified Western responses to global challenges—from climate change to security threats—are more critical than ever. As both nations grapple with the fallout, the path forward remains unclear, leaving markets volatile and diplomatic relationships strained.